Re: firefox-104.0,2 crashing

From: Jesús Daniel Colmenares Oviedo <DtxdF_at_riseup.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 22:06:33 UTC
On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 22:17:03 +0100
Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:

> (...)
>
> Nope, it's crashing even more lol!
>
> It seems that a new version is out 104.0_1 so I will have to wait for
> pkg or build it myself to see if problem continues.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> escreveu no dia quarta,
> 17/08/2022 à(s) 21:51:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've removed a invalid host and now only "leg.home/unix:0
> >  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  fba348980237f1319d9235da518606c5" shows up.
> > I don't have anything in /etc/hosts, only /etc/rc.conf:
> > hostname="leg.home".
> >
> > I will wait to see what happens.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DtxdF <DtxdF@riseup.net> escreveu no dia quarta, 17/08/2022 à(s)
> > 20:40:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have had the same problem. The problem is not only with firefox,
> >> it is also valid with thunderbird in my experience.
> >>
> >> I have debugged a bit using truss(1) and identified that the
> >> ~/.Xauthority file and /etc/hosts is the problem. Actually, the
> >> problem is firefox and thunderbird, but the initiators are them.
> >>
> >> Check what display-names are displayed with `xauth list`. If you
> >> see a display name as an invalid host in /etc/hosts, simply remove
> >> it with `xauth remove`.
> >>
> >> My problem is that I changed the hostname, and it stayed after a
> >> firefox upgrade, so I had two entries with an invalid hostname and
> >> a valid hostname in .Xauthority.
> >>
> >> See also /etc/hosts to see if there is an invalid host or check if
> >> you do not have any entries where a host (such as your hostname)
> >> is missing.

> > --
> > Nuno Teixeira
> > FreeBSD Committer (ports)

You need an entry in /etc/hosts for each display name in `xauth list`.
Look at my /etc/hosts:

```
$ egrep '^[^#]' /etc/hosts
::1 localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain dtxdf-laptop
```

After adding an entry in the specified file, you must remove or rename
your profile application (~/.thunderbird or ~/.firefox):

```
mv ~/.thunderbird ~/.thunderbird.bak
```

This is necessary because your hostname will remain in the cache.

Now, just run firefox and it should be fine.