Re: Resolved: devel/llvm13 build: "ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed"

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 14:51:49 UTC
On 2022-Aug-16, at 03:11, Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:

> *** Sorry about TMPFS(=no) when I want to mention USE_TMPFS(=no).
>
> Because I was in a hurry and I needed llvm13 package in one of my jails, I did what you told me and turned off FLANG, MLIR and DOCS (to avoid textproc/py-sphinx-markdown-tables problem).
>
> I've used 6c+6t (hw.ncpu: 12) and compiled with success that consumed ~1GB swap in ~40min.

Glad you got a configuration for which the build completed.

Using around 16 GiBytes of RAM and 1 GiByte of SWAP still
seems odd for having disabled FLANG and MLIR. Could you post
your /usr/local/etc/poudriere.conf file content to the list?
I wonder if something else could lead to something competing
for RAM+SWAP space.

Also, if you rebuild at some point, the follow sort of
command's output while the SWAP is in active use could be of
interest:

# df -m | egrep "^(Filesystem|tmpfs) "
Filesystem                             1M-blocks Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
. . .

> Because I only use llvm* as dependencies in poudriere jails for ports testing I could use a general llvm* options to reduce time and mem+swap or if I want to stick with default options then I need to use /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=n to be able to compile it with my hardware.

In the likes of /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf you
could use something like:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/devel/llvm*}
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=1
.endif

to have the MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER assignment only be used for
devel/llvm* builds.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com