MegaCLI port is ports-only -- how would you deploy it?

From: Dan Mahoney <freebsd_at_gushi.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 23:07:22 UTC
Hey there all,

At the dayjob we have a fleet of Dell Poweredge servers that can use either mptsas or mrsas -- if you use mptsas, you use mptutil (in base) to check the state of the card.

If you use mrsas, you need megacli, which is only in ports, and the port hasn't translated to pkg probably because of license restrictions.  ( _LICENSE_RESTRICTED = delete-package delete-distfiles), but the license listed is just "megacli".

* We want to deploy a cron job to periodically check the raid status (we're writing a wrapper, also having it check mfiutil, zpool, etc).

* We do not want to install and manage a whole ports tree on every machine in our fleet, just to install a raid utlity.

Option A:

Make a local package somehow.

The port just downloads a static binary, there's nothing to build here, but we want to do this the "right" way.  Is there some way to have pkg deploy a single local package for this that will, for example, report the right package ownership, without moving every other package to our poudriere install (we're just using base packages, we keep poudriere around for testing in case we need to hot-patch something).

For what it's worth, we use puppet for config management, so pushing out the static binary is not the worst answer, but it also feels "dirty".

Option B:

Figure out how to fix the license.  I have no idea what this would involve.

Option C:

Also, apparently MegaCLI is no longer maintained (replaced by StorCLI), but there's no port for StorCLI, and...there are multiple raid-card specific versions?  Jeez.

Feels even more dirty.

https://support.siliconmechanics.com/portal/en/kb/articles/storcli-for-freebsd-and-other-operating-systems

Ideas welcome?

-Dan Mahoney