Re: armv7 target (on aarch64 HW) and poudriere-based emulators/mame link failure vs. success based on the number of cores

From: Mark Millard via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:58:10 UTC

On 2021-Sep-20, at 12:54, Lucas Nali de Magalhães <rollingbits@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2021, at 6:14 AM, Mark Millard via freebsd-toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org> wrote:(…)
>
> (…)
>
> The HoneyComb failure looks to me like like hitting the process
> size limitations for armv7, something that did not happen on the
> MACCHIATObin Double Shot or RPi4B (fewer cores).
>
> It looks to me like 32-bit architectures (such as armv7) should
> possibly have the multi-threaded link disabled by default
> for FreeBSD unless ports are adjusted to disable multi-threaded
> individually.
>
> (…)

There are a few a few problems with your analysis: 32 and 64 bit
architectures sizes aren't that small and much of all OSes today
evolved around extending these sizes. This doesn't means that one
can not use all of it but that the analysis requires a little more "salt".
So it looks like you used all of something… maybe you need to adjust
some numbers somewhere.

Then, processes and threads existed far before the existence of
multicore desktop CPUs. Running with more threads/processes than
the number of cores you have only means that some swapping *may be*
necessary. If you have enough RAM, swap isn't really necessary. So I think
this makes your suggestion ridiculous.

--
rollingbits — 📧 rollingbits@icloud.com <mailto:rollingbits@icloud.com> 📧 rollingbits@gmail.com <mailto:rollingbits@gmail.com> 📧 rollingbits@yahoo.com <mailto:rollingbits@yahoo.com>

===