Re: Adding CPE information

From: Yasuhiro Kimura <yasu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:43:12 UTC
From: Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
Subject: Re: Adding CPE information
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:58:04 +0200

>> It seems recently some committers are working to add CPE information
>> to many ports. I don't know why it started. But if it is intended to
>> add CPE information to all (or most of ) ports, isn't it better to
>> modify ports framework so CPE intormation is added to each ports by
>> default?
>>

> AFAIK that's already in the tree. The framework tries to extrapolate
> CPE information from PORTNAME and other variables.

Yes, but it isn't enabled by default. You need to add 'USES=cpe` to
Makefile if you want to add CPE information to specific port. What I
proposed is to change framework so CPE information is added to all
ports without adding 'USES=cpe' to Makefile of each port.

> Unluckily most of the time it is actually impossible to get correct
> information and some other variables with the correct details, which
> are not necessarily logical or in any way connected with the
> information already present) need to be added by hand after manual
> discovery.

I understand manual work is required to set the value of related
variables correctly. But it is always necessary whether we add CPE
information by changing framework of we do it by adding 'USES=cpe' to
Makefile of each port. And assuming that it is intended to add CPE
information to all ports, I think the former requires less work volume
than the latter.

---
Yasuhiro Kimura