Re: Adding functionality to a port

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:39:39 UTC
On 14/11/2021 16:56, Rob LA LAU wrote:
> Thanks Ronald. But I'm not asking how or where to report bugs.
>
> Allow me to rephrase my question.
>
> If and when I am a FreeBSD port maintainer, can I just add any scripts
> or other files to the port I maintain if I think they may be practical,
> even if those files are not part of the upstream project?

If you want simple answer, then YES.
Almost all SW in ports are developed without FreeBSD in mind and does
not contain FreeBSD compatible rc script to start the service so the
maintainer needs to write some. And periodic scripts are again very
FreeBSD specific, not included in the upstream. Both (rc and periodic)
scripts are in maintainer's hands.
Some ports without these additional scripts will be almost useless.
But if you are asking if maintainer can add any malicious code then the
answer is NO and port committers are doing their best to not commit it.

Miroslav Lachman