Re: Adding functionality to a port

From: Kurt Jaeger <pi_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:54:22 UTC
Hi!

> On 14/11/2021 16:34, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> > You can ask the maintainer if he wants to join upstream, but
> > if there's no interest, there's no need to pressure one into upstream 8-)
>
> Don't worry: I don't want to pressure anyone into doing anything. :)
>
> But I would like to know how much functionality a port maintainer can add
> to a package before it is considered too much.

There's no rule that limits it.

Upstream can also hunt for functional changes 8-) and integrate
them 8-)

> At some point the port will no longer represent the upstream package, and
> I'd really like to know where this limit is.

There are two aspects:

- If the changes are useful, upstream can integrate them...
- If the changes collide with upstream ideas, who's to judge,
  as long as no license issues are created ?

Maybe it makes it easier to understand if you tell us the port
in question ?

--
pi@FreeBSD.org         +49 171 3101372                  Now what ?