Re: New port: math/polymake -- some questions and help needed

From: Thierry Thomas <thierry_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 21:12:47 UTC
Le lun. 14 juin 21 à 21:41:02 +0200, Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de>
 écrivait :

> Hi ports@

Hello,

> I've been working on a port of polymake (polymake.org). Most of the work
> is done, but there are some questions. Please advise:

Remark: this is a resurrection

$ grep polymake /usr/ports/MOVED
math/polymake||2014-06-22|Has expired: Does not build with any supported version of Perl

> - How to deal with machine/installation dependent path names?
> polymake installs a helper library into
> ${PREFIX}/libexec/polymake/perlx/%%PERL_VERSION%%/amd64-freebsd-thread-multi/auto/Polymake/Ext/Ext.so
>
> amd64-freebsd-thread-multi is the output of
>
> 	perl -E 'use Config; print "$Config::Config{archname}\n";'
>
> How do I correctly handle this entry in pkg-plist?

You can define a variable to be passed in plist:
PLIST_SUB=     ARCH=${ARCH}

and then %%ARCH%% will be available.

> - From reading the Porters Handbook, I get the impression that setting
> DESTDIR is frowned upon. However, if I don't set DESTDIR=${STAGEDIR} in
> the do-install target, "make stage" dumps everything to ${PREFIX}. Any
> comments on this?

I guess that you’ll have to patch the Makefile…

> - polymake installs a shared library libpolymake.so. I set USE_LDCONFIG,
> but "portlint -A" complains that no libraries are installed. Why?
>
> If I do install the port in its current form, everything looks fine:
> $ pkg info polymake
> Shared Libs provided:
>          libpolymake-apps-rt.so.4.4
>          libpolymake.so.4.4
> $
>
> Should I worry about this?

What is the output of `ldconfig -r | grep polymake'?

On FreeBSD, if your library is libpolymake.so.4.4, you should also
install a symlink for libpolymake.so and libpolymake.so.4.
Without that, it won’t be registered in the libraries hints file.

> You can find the current state of affairs at philippost.de/polymake.tar.xz
>
> I appreciate any hints and comments you may have. It's my first port and
> I hope I didn't miss anything important. ;-)
>
> Thanks in advance!

Thanks for this revival!
--
Th. Thomas.