Re: Stopping and restarting poudriere

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 23:29:54 UTC
On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 07:47:29AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, bob prohaska wrote:
>
> > More generally, can a poudriere session be gracefully stopped, say for
> > maintenance work or to run a more urgent job, and then restarted without
> > loss of intermediate work?
>
> Well, there's ^Z depending upon what you want to do in the meantime...

Three actions seem possible: Change the ssh session (move to another
workstation), reboot the workstation or reboot the poudriere builder.
Using screen for the connection instead of ssh would likely allow
the first two, but I didn't plan that far ahead.

My question was inspired by a hazy memory of something called
"checkpointing" a job on a mainframe. I think it was in the mid
1980's. I believe it involved something like a core dump which
was then reloaded from disk and restarted later on.

Surely anthing possible then should be trivial now 8-)

I tried using control-C in two cases. In the first, which was
intentional, poudriere didn't want to restart, saying the jail
was still running. I had to kill the jail explictly, suggesting
the kill wasn't complete. In the second case the kill was accidental
but the restart was uneventful. Together, it suggests control-C isn't
a good way to stop poudriere.

For now, it seems the answer is "Let poudriere finish!".

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska