Re: Synth status and failure to install some packages

From: Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 06:36:39 UTC
Am 01.06.21 um 08:03 schrieb Mark Millard via freebsd-ports:

> Some basic commands for installing/updating packages are:
>
> pkg install (see man pkg-install)
> pkg upgrade (see man pkg-upgrade)
> pkg delete  (see man pkg-delete)
[...]
> "pkg install" will install run-depencencies.
> It will not automatically install
> non-run-depenendecies, such as
> build-dependencies. But they can be installed.
> This is not a poudriere definition, but a pkg
> definition.
>
> "pkg update" will install newer versions of already
> installed packages if the respository is more
> update for those packages than before.

Minor correction: "pkg update" will only fetch a new repository
catalogue, "pkg upgrade" performs the actual upgrade (correctly
listed by you in the first quoted chunk above).

> "pkg delete" uninstalls packages, including packages
> that have a run-dependency on what is being deleted.

I'd add "pkg audit" to the list of important package maintenance
commands. It warns about packages with security vulnerabilities
(even if no fixed package is available at this time, which may
lead to other protective measures being advisable).

Regards, STefan