Re: Proposal: Include the Application Name in Ports and Packages

From: probono <probono_at_puredarwin.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 10:55:05 UTC
On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 1:51 AM Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@nours.eu> wrote:
> Simply add a new annotation to the package with the Application Name(s) when it
> is relevant. I add plural because some ports do provide multiple Application
> Name(s).
> And you will have the information everywhere.
> See how CPE is implemented in the ports tree to see how to do that.

Hello bapt, thanks for your response. I have a couple of questions though:

1. What key should we use for the Application Name(s)?

For CPE, there is e.g., 'CPE_VENDOR' and 'CPE_PRODUCT'. However none
of those contains the "human-readable" name "Apache HTTP Server" (as
used, e.g., on https://httpd.apache.org/).

CPE_VENDOR=     apache
CPE_PRODUCT=    http_server

So what I am looking for is

SOME_KEY_NAME=   Apache HTTP Server

2. If there is more than one main application inside the same package,
then just repeat this key/value combination multiple times?

3. How would we go about getting those into the
standard/documentation/lint tools?

4. Would new keys (annotations) automatically end up in
package/repository metadata, or would something special need to be
done to get them inherited there?