Re: Downloading distfiles when not able to use FreeBSD installation

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 23:45:30 UTC
On 2021-07-13 20:55, Yasuhiro Kimura wrote:
> From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
> Subject: Downloading distfiles when not able to use FreeBSD installation
> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 03:44:06 +0000

> > How do I find and download the new distfiles for a port when I have no
> > internet access from the FreeBSD installation?

> > Port in question is net/realtek-re-kmod .

> > If this will build and work, then I will possibly have internet
> > connectivity on FreeBSD-current/14.

> > How do I find the files when I can use NetBSD but not FreeBSD?
> >
> > Tom

> 1. Download distfiles on NetBSD machine.
> 2. Insert USB memory into NetBSD machine.
> 3. Copy distfiles to USB memory.
> 4. Remove USB memory from NetBSD machine and insert it FreeBSD one.
> 5. Copy distfiles to /usr/ports/distfiles.
> Just for added convenience. The link to the source is:
> http://distcache.FreeBSD.org/local-distfiles/ale/rtl_bsd_drv_v196.04.tgz

> HTH

>-Chris

I found the link but got 403 Forbidden.

I later realized I didn't need to download the patch, since it was already localed in files subdirectory.

Then I found the desired distfile on the other computer.  I copied by NFS and didn't need USB stick.

from Torfinn Ingolfsen:

> Failing everything else, the FreshPorts page for the port
> https://www.freshports.org/net/realtek-re-kmod/
> gives you access to the files of the port (Makefile, distinfo, ++) and
> from that you can puzzle together an url to get the distfile from.

> It is almost always easier to find a way to give the FreeBSD machine
> network access temporarily. One way to do so is to "share internet
> access" via a mobile phone. Many mobile phones show up as a network
> interface when connected via usb to a computer (and selecting the
> right options for usb access), and most mobile phones have "share
> internet access" built in.

> Other ways: usb-connected ethernet dongle, usb-connected wireless
> dongle and so on.

I would like to be able to use USB tethering or USB wireless adapter for when Charter Spectrum cable is down.

I tried the USB wireless adapter, Hiro H50191, worked on FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE but not on 12-STABLE or 14-current even though the device is recognized.

So I suspect something is buggy in the underlying TCP/IP; only way to really know is to compare on Linux.

Tom