Re: Downloading distfiles when not able to use FreeBSD installation

From: Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 10:23:41 UTC
On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 5:44 AM Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:

> How do I find and download the new distfiles for a port when I have no internet access from the FreeBSD installation?
>
> Port in question is net/realtek-re-kmod .
>
> If this will build and work, then I will possibly have internet connectivity on FreeBSD-current/14.
>
> How do I find the files when I can use NetBSD but not FreeBSD?

Failing everything else, the FreshPorts page for the port
https://www.freshports.org/net/realtek-re-kmod/
gives you access to the files of the port (Makefile, distinfo, ++) and
from that you can puzzle together an url to get the distfile from.

It is almost always easier to find a way to give the FreeBSD machine
network access temporarily. One way to do so is to "share internet
access" via a mobile phone. Many mobile phones show up as a network
interface when connected via usb to a computer (and selecting the
right options for usb access), and most mobile phones have "share
internet access" built in.

Other ways: usb-connected ethernet dongle, usb-connected wireless
dongle and so on.

HTH
--
Regards,