Supply difficult to build assets as an extra distfile?

From: Robert Clausecker <fuz_at_fuz.su>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 22:32:45 UTC
Greetings!

As requested on reddit [1], I would like to make a port for WriteFreely [2],
a "publishing platform for writers."  While the project itself is an easily
ported Go program, it requires assets to be generated using a Node.js tool
as a part of the build.  [3] Unfortunately that means having to wrangle with NPM
to get the code generated in a fixed version and that seems very hard.

Would it be acceptable to generate these assets on my machine and roll them
into a distfile so the port can be built without involving any NPM shenanigans?
I would add a makefile target to generate said distfile so committers can
audit that the distfile has been generated correctly.

Please let me know how to proceed here.

Yours,
Robert Clausecker

[1]: https://www.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/o7px9b/-/h31pg0w/
[2]: https://github.com/writefreely/writefreely
[3]: https://writefreely.org/docs/latest/developer/setup

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign - for an 8-bit clean world
/\  - against html email  - against proprietary attachments