Re: llvm10 build failure on Rpi3

From: Mark Millard via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 08:33:17 -0700
On 2021-Jul-3, at 01:45, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-Jul-2, at 21:47, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 
>> On 2021-Jul-2, at 19:23, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>> I just noticed that in several prior messasges I quoted the llvm-tblgen
>>> command that generates the *.inc files with the odd contents instead
>>> of the later compile that tried to use the output files in question.
>>> 
>>> This leaves open the possibility that I had incorrectly checked on if
>>> the build had failed, the build possibly not having reached the part
>>> that used the files as of when I declared it was past that point.
>>> 
>>> So I may need to rerun some tests.
>> 
>> I have restarted a RPi4B total_mem=1024 test build of devel/llvm10
>> via poudriere (-devel).
>> 
>> It has:
>> 
>> [00:01:12] Deleting llvm10-10.0.1_5.txz: changed options
>> [00:01:12] Pkg: BE_AMDGPU BE_NATIVE CLANG DOCS EXTRAS LIT LLD LLDB LLD_LINK OPENMP 
>> [00:01:12] New: BE_AMDGPU BE_STANDARD CLANG DOCS EXTRAS LIT LLD LLDB LLD_LINK OPENMP PYCLANG 
>> 
>> as your builds vary which target it fails from from one build
>> attempt to the next and this better matches what your logs
>> report. I need to wait until after all the *GenGlobalISel.inc
>> files for all the targets have been put to use before
>> concluding that it did not fail. Your logs have gone up to
>> at least 17:34:09 before reaching a failure of bad content
>> in one of those files (when only devel/llvm10 was being built).
>> In other words: a lot more targets used their *GenGlobalISel.inc
>> file(s) before one failed.
>> 
>> The context for this test is based on:
>> 
>> # uname -apKU
>> FreeBSD Rock64_RPi_4_3_2v1p2 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #1 main-n247651-a00d703f2f43-dirty: Wed Jun 30 02:02:01 PDT 2021     root_at_CA72_16Gp_ZFS:/usr/obj/BUILDs/main-CA53-nodbg-clang/usr/main-src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC-NODBG-CA53  arm64 aarch64 1400024 1400024
>> 
>> (So it predates today's workaround for allowing lang/rust to build
>> via main.)
>> 
>> Usual rules for me for for USB3 SSD, swap/paging space
>> size, etc.
> 
> Well, at this point grep usage shows that the files shown by:
> 
> # find /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-CA53-default/01/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/ -name '*GlobalISel.inc' -print
> /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-CA53-default/01/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/.build/lib/Target/AArch64/AArch64GenGlobalISel.inc
> /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-CA53-default/01/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/.build/lib/Target/AMDGPU/AMDGPUGenGlobalISel.inc
> /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-CA53-default/01/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/.build/lib/Target/ARM/ARMGenGlobalISel.inc
> /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-CA53-default/01/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/.build/lib/Target/Mips/MipsGenGlobalISel.inc
> /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-CA53-default/01/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/.build/lib/Target/RISCV/RISCVGenGlobalISel.inc
> /usr/local/poudriere/data/.m/main-CA53-default/01/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/.build/lib/Target/X86/X86GenGlobalISel.inc
> 
> do not have any examples of:
> 
> _at_2779096485
> _at_0
> */,
> 
> so I doubt that the build will fail. But I've left it
> running.
> 
>>> Side note:
>>> 
>>> It llooks like http://www.zefox.org/~bob/swaplogs/poudrierellvm10.log
>>> shows that you tried with:
>>> 
>>> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
>>> /dev/da0s2b       1048576    25784  1022792     2%
>>> /dev/mmcsd0s2b    1048576    25124  1023452     2%
>>> Total             2097152    50908  2046244     2%
>>> 
>>> A gather that the problem still occurred?
>> 
>> "I" gather, not "A" gather.
>> 
>> (I can not tell which build attempt the log is for but
>> I expect that you would have reported a successful build
>> if one had occurred.)
> 
> FYI: at the moment . . .
> 
> # swapinfo
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> /dev/gpt/Rock64swp2   3145728  1116384  2029344    35%
> 
> My odd variant of top reports for swap/paging space use:
> 
> 1271Mi MaxObsUsed
> 
> (maximum observed used) and:
> 
> 2180Mi MaxObs(Act+Wir+Lndry+SwapUsed)
> 
> As for RAM (each MaxObj<?> can be from a different time):
> 
> 961312Ki MaxObs(Act+Wir+Lndry)
> 712760Ki MaxObsActive
> 261724Ki MaxObsWired

[00:02:15] [01] [00:00:00] Building devel/llvm10 | llvm10-10.0.1_5
[09:56:37] [01] [09:54:22] Finished devel/llvm10 | llvm10-10.0.1_5: Success
[09:56:45] Stopping 1 builders

Still no reproduction of the build failure.

FYI:

swap/paging space use:
1271Mi MaxObsUsed

Memory use:
1938Mi MaxObs(Act+Lndry+SwapUsed), 2180Mi MaxObs(Act+Wir+Lndry+SwapUsed)

RAM Use:
712760Ki MaxObsActive, 370520Ki MaxObsWired, 961312Ki MaxObs(Act+Wir+Lndry)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went
away in early 2018-Mar)
Received on Sat Jul 03 2021 - 15:33:17 UTC

Original text of this message