Re: mailwrapper *

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:36:11 UTC
On 2024-04-15 12:32, Lexi Winter wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am working on a patch for mailwrapper, which i'd like to move from
> FreeBSD-utilities to its own package.  however i'm a little stymied by
> usr.sbin/mailwrapper/Makefile[0], which seems to do a few fairly odd
> things for the benefit of src users, such as linking mailwrapper to
> either dma or sendmail if mailwrapper itself isn't built.
>
> i'd like to significantly simplify the logic here so that if mailwrapper
> is enabled (${MK_MAILWRAPPER} == yes), it's always installed in the
> usual place, and doesn't pretend to be dma or sendmail, and there is no
> special handling depending on the value of ${MK_SENDMAIL} and
> ${MK_DMAGENT}.
>
> this might require some changes to either sendmail or dma (which of
> course i'd test before submitting anything), but in principle, does this
> sound like a reasonable idea?
>
> i am concious that many/most people don't use pkgbase yet and we
> shouldn't break things for them, but this seems like an ideal to time to
> clean up some of this legacy stuff.
As I read it, and use it; mailwrapper(8) simply *assumes* that there is
*some*
default (based on available options) MTA already installed, and points to it
as
needed. The sendmail/dma stuff is there as a system isn't really complete if
one
can't send mail. How had you intended to improve the process?
Strictly speaking; this process could probably just as easily be accomplished
with a shell script living in /usr/(local/)libexec. Had you a specific
direction
in mind?

> [0] https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/usr.sbin/mailwrapper/Makefile

--Chris