Re: official packages

From: Doug Rabson <dfr_at_rabson.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 08:44:20 UTC
On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 at 17:16, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 03:30:17PM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 at 14:25, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > The project has started building and populated official packages for
> > > pkgbase.
> > >
> > > For people interested: just create a new repo like this:
> > >
> > > FreeBSD-base {
> > >   url: pkg+https://pkg.freebsd.org/${ABI}/base_latest
> > >   signature_type: "fingerprints"
> > >   fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg"
> > >   mirror_type: "srv"
> > > }
> > >
> > > the current build was built last friday, everything is ready to be
> able to
> > > publish in regular basis.
> > >
> > > Here is my proposal for main and stable branches:
> > > - build everything in a end less loop (to detect failures as soon as
> > > possible) and
> > >   twice a day at a fix time, publish it under "base_latest"
> > > - every sunday take the last built snapshot and publish it under the
> > > base_weekly
> > >   snapshot at a predictable time.
> > >
> > > For releng:
> > > - built it in a end less loop and publish straight each time there was
> > > changes
> > >
> > > For end users on stable/main the default would be: to end on the
> > > base_weekly
> > > (does not exists yet) repo, but users can if needed switch to
> base_latest.
> > >
> > > For base_release_X for release users base_release_0 for 14.0 for
> example.
> > >
> > > all the failures will be published in this mailing list!
> > >
> > > Is it ok with you?
> > >

> > This is great news, thanks for all the work getting this far. I see
> > packages available for 15 already. If I understand you correctly,
> packages
> > for stable/13 and stable/14 are planned - is that right?
>
> No stable/13 is not planned, right now we have published:
> - main
> - stable/14
> - releng/14.0

It would be useful (to me at least) to add support for FreeBSD-13 to this
list. I use pkgbase to build container images for OCI container engines
such as podman and containerd and FreeBSD-13 is a solid platform for this
kind of workload. The incremental cost for adding stable/13 (and ideally
releng/13.x) should be small.

I have been using the package sets for current, stable/14 and releng/14.0
this week and everything is working really well - thanks again for your
work on this.

Doug