Re: best practices for updating?

From: Chuck Tuffli <ctuffli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 00:28:04 UTC
Thanks for the feedback. See below for a couple of questions:

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 3:05 AM Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> wrote:
>  What I do on my systems is :
>
>  pkg upgrade --fetch-only
>  bectl create XXX
>  pkg upgrade FreeBSD-kernel-generic (or FreeBSD-kernel-generic-nodebug
> on some machines)
>  nextboot -o "-s"
>  shutdown -r now

So if I understand this correctly, after the reboot, the system should
come up in single user mode, yes? It didn't seem to work, but maybe I
confused things with the boot environments.

>  pkg upgrade FreeBSD-clibs (this takes care on ABI mismatch or new syscalls)

Running this from single-user errors out with "pkg: Insufficient
privilege to upgrade packages". But this make me suspect I
misunderstood the previous instructions.