Re: pkg installation into non-default location

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:57:14 UTC
On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:47:03 +0300
Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> I noticed at least three way of installing a package under "alternative
> root".  One of them is very straightforward, but for two other I am not
> sure about details.  I guess, I can get them all from the source code,
> but maybe someone would be kind to give me a summary.
>
> So, the obvious way is to use pkg with -c or -j option.  In this case
> pkg just chroot-s or jexec-s before doing anything.  So, conceptually
> everything is like the normal operation, but in the chroot or the jail.
>
> Then, there is -r option:
>      -r ?root directory?, --rootdir ?root directory?
>              pkg will install all packages within the specified ?root
>              directory?.
> It's not entirely clear what that means and when that can be useful.
> In other words, why this option exists if we already have -c and -j.

 Having -r is useful for different things :

 - We use that for the tests so every test installation/delete is done
under a specified dir.
 - It's also useful when creating image for a different arch than the
native one.
 - It's also useful for pkgbase to bootstrap a system/jail/whatever as
at first you will not have something to chroot/jail on.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>