[Bug 292807] IPv6 loopback ::1 cannot respond to requests sourced from another interface address

From: <bugzilla-noreply_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2026 09:33:31 UTC
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=292807

--- Comment #4 from Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org> ---
(In reply to Andrey V. Elsukov from comment #3)
I'm not entirely sure it's not a bug.

The routing table is explicit that traffic to fc00::1 should go via lo0, but
when we hit in6_selectif() we'll get the interface fc00::1 is assigned to, not
lo0. That's because selectroute() returns nhop->nh_aifp rather than
nhop->nh_ifp. That appears to be intentional (I can see test cases failing if I
make that return nh_ifp), but I don't quite understand why.

It's indeed a scope issue, in that in6_selectsrc() subsequently fails to
in6_setscope(). in6_setscope() fails because the destination address is
loopback, but the interface we have doesn't have IFF_LOOPBACK set.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.