Re: Guidance regarding GSoC projects

From: Joseph Mingrone <jrm_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 20:04:21 UTC
On Sun, 2024-02-04 at 22:43, "divyansh.nankani" <divyanshvn@zohomail.in> wrote:

> Hi ,

> I am intending to participate in GSoC for FreeBSD this year. I need a bit of help navigating where to start contributing to FreeBSD for issues/features specifically related to the GSoC projects I am targeting :

> - Improve netgraph concurrency

> - Implement MPLS support for FreeBSD

> I am also interested in UFS4fuse: support FreeBSD's UFS2 with fusefs (with rust) but there is no mentor assigned for this project on the project ideas page.

> I will be really grateful if you can help me out with this.

> Thanks,

> Divyansh

Hi Divyansh,

It's nice to hear you are interested in working with FreeBSD this summer, and it's good you are starting early.  We find out around February 21 whether FreeBSD has been accepted to participate in GSoC 2024.

The MPLS project was attempted in 2008 [0] and 2018 [1].  Hopefully we can track down some code from that past work and then determine whether this is still an appropriate project.

I see 29 bugs related to netgraph [3].  I suggest investigating the newer ones to see if they pique your interest.  Although not directly related to concurrency, bug #267413 looks interesting.  It's unclear how challenging it will be to solve.  Maybe Alexander, who is copied here, could offer better guidance.

There is now one tentative mentor for the UFS4fuse project, Alan Somers.  I say tentative because we probably still require a co-mentor for this project to be viable.  We have one in mind but have yet to hear back whether he's available.

I hope this helps you get started.  If you have any other questions, please let me know, and I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

Regards,

Joe

[0] https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2008#Implementation_of_MPLS_on_FreeBSD
[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2018Projects/FinishingMPLS