Re: Lagg and multi-gigabit questions/proablems

From: Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz_at_donnerhacke.de>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 08:59:00 UTC
On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 12:38:54AM -0500, Chris Ross wrote:
> Tl;dr; I have two FreeBSD systems attached to a Cisco switch, there should be multi-gigabit connectivity, but only seeing 1Gpbs.  Each system is trunked, vlan interfaces on the underlying interface.

I can add another data point:
 - stable trains in 12/13
 - 10g ixl cards (with 1G and 10G ports)
 - without LACP cpu load correlates linearly with the throughput
 - with LACP cpu load rise sharply to 100% at about 40-50% input bandwidth
 - if this happens, the packet drop rate spikes to about 10 kp/s
   in the kernel input handling queues, throughput falls to some Mbps

Unfortunately I did not have time to digg deeper, bringing the production
network back to work had priority. (The BSD machines in question work as
cantral Carrier Grade NAT devices.)