Re: Erratic ping behavior, was Re: Pi3 answers ssh only if outbound ping is running on -current

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 20:46:17 UTC
On 2022-Mar-13, at 12:34, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> It looks as if things are somewhat altered, but not really
> improved,  after updating to
>
> FreeBSD pelorus.zefox.org 13.1-STABLE FreeBSD 13.1-STABLE #24 stable/13-n249989-b85d0d603c5: Sat Mar 12 17:47:19 PST 2022     bob@pelorus.zefox.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC arm64

That is still your build and your configuration adjsutemtns
for your general use --on your usual media.

Are you ever going to test the networking behavior of a snapshot
image and/or, now, BETA image, installed to a fresh, independent
microsd card that is used to boot, no other media attached? The
point being: not your build, not your configuration, minimal
adjustment to allow the basic testing. (The system does not need
to be able to support your general use, just the network testing.)

If you want the problem worked on, folks will need an identified
configuration that they can reproduce the problem with. Your
builds and full set of configuration adjustments likely can not
be involved in that.

> on the Pi3 with USB root disk (hdd, not ssd).
>
> After reboot the machine answered around 30 % of incoming pings and
> sometimes responded to ssh login attempts. At least once the login
> attempt was successful, even with no outgoing ping process running.
> That seems like progress.
>
> With an outgoing ping running it's possible to ssh into the machine,
> with a highly variable delay for the password prompt.
>
> Unfortunately, new console errors are appeared:
>
> bob@pelorus:~ % (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): WRITE(10). CDB: 2a 00 1f ea a3 c0 00 00 40 00
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ABORTED COMMAND asc:47,3 (Information unit iuCRC error detected)
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying command (per sense data)

Note that no USB drive would be involved in the type of
testing that I've asked for. This sort of issue would not
interfere with the proposed testing.

> The error message repeated at intervals, seemingly linked to disk activity,
> with the machine running out of retries after starting buildworld.
> That seems like progress in reverse 8-)

So you have bounds for a bisect to find where the USB
failures start happening on your RPi3, if you want to
investigate that.

> Reverting to 13-n249985-dd6c1475a63: Fri Mar 11 18:06:31 PST 2022
> permitted recovery, with the old problems attendant.
>
> -current now has some usb testing tools:
> root@www:/usr/src # ls tools/tools/usbtest
> Makefile		usb_control_ep_test.c	usb_msc_test.c		usbtest.c
> Makefile.depend		usb_modem_test.c	usb_msc_test.h		usbtest.h
>
> Is there any guidance on what they do? I couldn't find a man page.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com