Re: Import dhcpcd(8) into FreeBSD base

From: Franco Fichtner <franco_at_opnsense.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 07:08:24 UTC
Hi Ben,

> On 7. Aug 2022, at 7:31 AM, Ben Woods <woodsb02@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> Reason: ensure fresh installs of FreeBSD support using DHCPv6 and prefix delegation to obtain an IP address (not supported by dhclient or rtsold). Having it in ports/packages could be problematic if people cannot obtain an IPv6 address to download it.
>
> Why dhcpcd vs other DHCPv6 clients? It’s well supported, full featured, included in NetBSD and DragonflyBSD base, and is now sandboxed with capsicum. The other DHCP clients tend to either not support DHCPv6 (dhcpleased) or are no longer actively maintained (wide-dhcpv6-client).

Having worked on dhclient and rtsold in FreeBSD and worked with it for years
in pfSense/OPNsense the proposal here seems to be to throw all progress away
that would definitely have to be rebuilt in the years to follow for the all-
in-one (?) replacement.

For OPNsense we did fork strip down and improve wide-dhcpv6 over the years:

https://github.com/opnsense/dhcp6c

It could use more work and cleanups, but basically all that is required is to
bring it into FreeBSD and use it to skip a long trail of said future work both
in dhcpcd and putting back existing perks of the current dhclient and rtsold.

The basic question is: what's not working in dhclident? How is rtsold inferior?

It seems like "It’s well supported, full featured, included in NetBSD and
DragonflyBSD base" incorporates none of the real world concerns for migratory
work so for the time being I don't think it's a solid proposal, also because
it will cause heavy downstream disruption in OPNsense/pfSense in a few years
as well.

Cheers,
Franco