Re: Porting OpenBSD MPLS to FreeBSD

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 06:20:47 UTC
> Hi freebsd-net@,
>
> Long time no see. I've gotten a (Ports) commit bit since then.
>
> I haven't been very active in TCP/IP hacking as of late, as more
> recently I've been more focused on GNOME packages and some GPU drivers.
>
> Going back, I'm thinking about porting OpenBSD's MPLS to FreeBSD.

I have had similiar thoughts on and off over the years,
and one pretty solid "want" for this.

> I have a two questions:
>
>   * Is porting OpenBSD MPLS to FreeBSD feasible, or are we better off
> doing a from-scratch implementation based on netgraph?

Feasible, yes, as to the better off part that probably depends on
who you ask.  MPLS is not that complicated to implement, so doing
it either way all depends on weither you want to deal with netgraph,
or the kernel network interface code.  Its also probably fairly trivial
to do both with a great deal of shared code.

>   * Would some of the other committers here be willing to mentor/help me
> if needed?

Yes.

> Unlike my old IPFW patches which got nowhere (plus I no longer use
> IPFW), I feel this is more something that could be useful when running
> FreeBSD as a router, but hasn't really been done.

I can probably arrange a telco size beta tester too... unless
there interested has gone away, which I doubt.