Re: netmask for loopback interfaces

From: Mike Karels <mike_at_karels.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 17:58:47 UTC
Rod wrote:

> > Jamie wrote:

> > It's true that 127/8 is currently reserved, but that isn't enforced
> > by FreeBSD using the mask on the interface.  Such packets are prevented
> > from forwarding by in_canforward(), which in turn uses IN_LOOPBACK().
> > The latter uses a compiled-in 8-bit mask.

> I have a review up that "relaxes" the restrictions on this (127/8)
> and other ranges.

> 	https://reviews.freebsd.org/D19316

> > > There is a push by some people to release 127.0.0.0/8 address space,
> > > leaving only 127.0.0.0/16 as reserved for localhost.
> >
> > > https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg598545.html
> >
> > > https://github.com/schoen/unicast-extensions/blob/master/127.md
> >
> > > https://github.com/schoen/unicast-extensions/
> >
> > > I make no comment on the feasability of doing this!
> >
> > > However, that aside, aren't you just confusing the mask with routing?
> >
> > The two masks (interface and route) are separate, but the routing mask
> > is set from the interface mask for most interfaces (broadcast or NBMA,
> > but not loopback or point-to-point).  The interface mask is visible to
> > user level, including routing daemons.  But I think it would be wrong
> > for a routing daemon to infer anything from the mask on a loopback
> > route.  But the reason for my question was to find out if there is
>   ^^^^^  I think you meant interface here?

Yes, thanks.  (Although it may be true of loopback routes too.)

> > anything that uses the interface mask in this case, and thus whether
> > a change in the default matters.

> I actually do believe routing daemons pay very close attention to
> the netmask on and interfaces.  It is how CIDR routes to interfaces
> are created and maintained by most of them.  Even ancient gated
> used this information.

Yes, but do they use information for the loopback for routing?  Certainly
they don't advertise the loop back by default; it isn't reachable externally.

> > > I think the mask on any IP on a loopback interface should be /32
> > > (if you want to add a "127.0.0.0/8 -local" route even if done
> > > automatically", then so be it)
> >
> > Using /32 on loopback is not a bad idea.  /etc/network.subr is wired
> > to 127.0.0.1/8 currently.  I don't think I'll change it in this pass
> > though.
> >
> > > Note, the default FreeBSD firewall rules already have:
> >
> > >     ${fwcmd} add 100 pass all from any to any via lo0
> > >     ${fwcmd} add 200 deny all from any to 127.0.0.0/8
> > >     ${fwcmd} add 300 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
> >
> > If you use the default rules...

> The default rules should work with a fresh install that
> is left with defaults in place.  Due to loss of 127/8
> routes the firewall code is borked and we only do not
> leak 127/8 packets because of other code in the kernel
> that prevents them from leaking.

A fresh install does not enable the firewall rules by default.

We could change /etc/network.subr to add a reject route for the loopback
"net".  When BSD last had a 127/8 route, it was not a reject route, so
didn't make sense.

		Mike