netmask for loopback interfaces

From: Mike Karels <mike_at_karels.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 23:01:02 UTC
I have a pending change to stop using class A/B/C netmasks when setting
an interface address without an explicit mask, and instead to use a default
mask (24 bits).  A question has arisen as to what the default mask should
be for loopback interfaces.  The standard 127.0.0.1 is added with an 8 bit
mask currently, but additions without a mask would default to 24 bits.
There is no warning for missing masks for loopback in the current code.
I'm not convinced that the mask has any meaning here; only a host route
to the assigned address is created.  Does anyone know of any meaning or
use of the mask on a loopback address?

Thanks,
		Mike