nfs lockd not responding

From: Gerrit Kühn <gerrit.kuehn_at_aei.mpg.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:21:48 UTC
Hello,

I have a set of NFS(v3) client/server machines which have been working fine
for me for the last years. However, lately the client side sometimes
complains about:

---
Jul 15 01:41:55 client kernel: nfs server server:/data:
lockd not responding
Jul 15 01:41:55 client kernel: nfs server server:/data:
lockd is alive again
---

This happens every now and then (like every 5 minutes or so) while
transferring data over nfs. Recovery is always within the same second, so
there is no real slowdown of anything visible. Both sides run FreeBSD 12.2.
Any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix it (or is it
harmless)? Doing some searching turned up nothing really useful for me so
far.

cu
  Gerrit