Re: Anyone know how to get sound on a 12th Gen Alder Lake based laptop?

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 03:45:56 UTC
On 2024-04-22 08:44, Christos Margiolis wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> Chris wrote:
>> On 2024-04-15 07:56, Christos Margiolis wrote:

>> > Could you please set dev.hdac.0.pindump=1 and attach the output shown in
>> > dmesg(8)?
>> Thank you very much for taking the time to help, Christos!
>> I haven't needed to tweak sound since 8.4. Everything is completely
>> different now. But the output from dmesg(8) appears to say everything
>> is disabled. :(
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I've placed a copy here in case your MUA mangles the output in this
>> message:
>> https://bitpit.us/ALC257-tmp
>
> Can you add the following lines to /boot/device.hints, reboot and test
> whether your headphones and speakers work?
>
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid20.config="as=1 seq=0"
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid33.config="as=1 seq=15"
Thank you very much, Christos! After adding those lines and adding ALSA.
Sound
works as expected. :)
Sorry to have bothered you with this. I haven't needed to touch sound
settings
since ~8.4, because it "just worked". Is there anywhere that might explain
the
correlation between the labels and numbers that "mere mortals" can
comprehend?

Thanks again!

> Christos

--Chris