Re: TV doesn't produce sound from HDMI Port

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:30:44 UTC
On 18.12.2023 14:08, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:56:11 -0800
> Joe B <jcb2023az@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I plugged in my laptop into my HDMI port of my TV and everything is
>> working. I used arandr to find the TV and it outputted great. Problem
>> is the TV isn't using the TV's audio to play its using my laptops
>> audio. Trying to figure out if that is expected or not?
>
> [ snip ]
>
>> cat /dev/sndstat
>> ----
>>
>> Installed devices:
>> pcm0: <Realtek ALC255 (Internal Analog)> (play/rec) default
>> pcm1: <Realtek ALC255 (Front Analog Headphones)> (play)
>> pcm2: <Intel Kaby Lake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
>> No devices installed from userspace.
>>
>> If you need anything else let me know.
>
> What does
>
> sysctl hw.snd.default_unit
>
> show? In my case, setting it to 2 redirect sound output to HDMI audio
> channel. I have no much experience with audio, but this is working when
> more audio channels are available, allowing to switch output.

I'll second the Milan comment.  Make sure you output sound though the
proper device.  If that is not the problem, it may be an issue of the
video driver, since HDMI require one to negotiate sound output with the
TV, otherwise with perfectly working HDA sound river you will still get
nothing.  I haven't tested HDMI sound with Intel video lately, so I am
not sure what should be expected there now and for different chipsets,
but for couple NVIDIA cards I use with the proprietary driver it just works.

--
Alexander Motin