Re: Any opinion about which audio backend is best for Chromium?

From: Tomasz CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 16:35:44 UTC
On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 1:44 PM Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm doing some tests with Chromium and ALSA. After my alsa-plugins
> patches, some web clients work better with ALSA than SNDIO, but I'm not
> sure if that is a good enough reason to switch.
>
> For example I tested:
>
> https://web.skype.com/
>
> The echo-test stopped working with SNDIOD over here, but other services
> like jitsi still work fine, so I suspect the skype web client has some
> expectations about very low audio latency. And I suspect that Microsoft
> never tested this service on FreeBSD :-(
>
> Of course all audio issues are gone in Firefox with the cubeb OSS
> backend selected, but then Firefox doesn't support video with web skype ...

Hey HPS! This is really important Thank You! Some time ago sndio
stopped working reliably (choppy out and no microphone) and some web
conferencing simply won't work (and have no plan to work) on FreeBSD -
that is Zoom, Teams, Skype - as you mentioned :-(

CUBEB in Chromium on FreeBSD would be best to have as it allows
selecting audio backend without re-compilation (I prefer PulseAudio
because it allows me to switch audio output to a different card as the
sound plays).. but is it possible?