Re: New FreeBSD port ALSA to JACK MIDI, a2jmidid

From: Shane Ambler <FreeBSD_at_ShaneWare.Biz>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 23:24:25 UTC
On 12/2/22 2:15 am, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My plan for MIDI support in FreeBSD is to use ALSA MIDI in user-space
> via CUSE. It has some pros and cons, but mostly pros. The a2jmidid fills
> the last hole, that JACK applications will automagically see USB MIDI
> devices.
>
> https://www.freshports.org/audio/a2jmidid
>
> Can be used together with latest version of:
>
> https://www.freshports.org/audio/alsa-seq-server

So I gather alsa now supports USB midi. Is there some advantage to
passing alsa midi to jack? or is this just to allow both to access the
same device.

My experience is that jack has supported usb midi for some time, I
pathed lmms about six years ago to add support for jack midi so that I
could use a usb midi keyboard as that was the only thing I could get
working.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler