Re: New FreeBSD port ALSA to JACK MIDI, a2jmidid

From: Florian Walpen <dev_at_submerge.ch>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:52:22 UTC
Hi Hans Petter,

On Friday, February 11, 2022 4:45:24 PM CET Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> My plan for MIDI support in FreeBSD is to use ALSA MIDI in user-space
> via CUSE. It has some pros and cons, but mostly pros. The a2jmidid fills
> the last hole, that JACK applications will automagically see USB MIDI
> devices.

I don't fully understand the implications of your proposal. Would it replace
the current /dev/umidi* devices and audio/jack_umidi? Or is it just another
option?
Does it have an impact on usability or latency (or latency correction)?

Frankly I'm not too familiar with the whole interaction between JACK, ALSA
MIDI and alsa-seq-server. I suppose the alternative would be a better
integration of jack_umidi with device detection? Or do we have to go through
the alsa-seq-server anyway for applications like QTractor?

> https://www.freshports.org/audio/a2jmidid
>
> Can be used together with latest version of:
>
> https://www.freshports.org/audio/alsa-seq-server

I never used midi hardware for anything serious, but I'll give it a test drive
this weekend.

Best regards,

Florian Walpen