Re: New FreeBSD port ALSA to JACK MIDI, a2jmidid

From: Florian Walpen <dev_at_submerge.ch>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:02:54 UTC
On Saturday, April 16, 2022 6:31:37 PM CEST Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> >> preferable, I think. I'll have a look into that, probably next
> >> weekend. Did
> >> you see any major problems there?
> >
> > Ping, did you find to look into this?
>
> s/find/find time/
>
> :-)
>
> --HPS

Oops, sorry about that - I did have a look at the code, but then was cut off
the internet for about a week (fiber cable broke in the neighbourhood)...
...and forgot to answer.

Contrary to what I had in mind, the MIDI code in JACK is not a separate
module, but is driven by the ALSA audio backend. Means we'd have to somehow
drive it from the OSS backend in our case. Also the MIDI code is not too well
structured nor documented, and it's hard to tell the exact timing requirements
to drive it.

So instead of creating a lot of work and maintenance Frankenstein'ing the OSS
backend with the ALSA MIDI code, I suppose our efforts are better spent on
ease of setup for a2jmidid and documentation.

Sorry again for the delay.

Regards,

Flo