microphone issues - distorted audio

From: Pete Wright via freebsd-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 03:56:02 UTC
hello,
i have the following configuration for my audio system on current/amd64:

$ cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
pcm1: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
pcm2: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
pcm3: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
pcm4: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> (play)
pcm5: <Realtek ALC892 (Rear Analog 7.1/2.0)> (play/rec) default
pcm6: <Realtek ALC892 (Front Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm7: <USB audio> (rec)
No devices installed from userspace.

I am having issues with recording audio, using both my Realtek ALC892 as
well as via my USB webcam (pcm7).  in both cases the audio sounds very
distorted, if i talk into the microphone my voice is very distorted
almost mechanical sound.  it is interesting that i get the same
experience with both my ALC892 and USB audio device.  I've also tried
adjusting various mixer settings, and adjusted my input gain to no
avail.  I'm kind of at a loss here to figure out what my next debugging
steps should be - any pointers?

I've uploaded an example mp3 of what I'm getting here:
https://www.nomadlogic.org/audio-sample.mp3

The clicking noise is me snapping my fingers in front of the mic.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org