Re: Mic does not work with Zoom on Chromium 92.0.4515.159.

From: Tomasz CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 17:46:39 UTC
On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 4:53 PM Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On 10/5/21 1:46 PM, KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko wrote:
> > root@kx:~ # env AUDIORECDEVICE="/dev/dsp4.0" service sndiod restart
> > Stopping sndiod.
> > Waiting for PIDS: 89901.
> > Starting sndiod.
> > root@kx:~ # ll /dev/dsp*
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  0x10d 10月  5 10:46 /dev/dsp0.0
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   0xa7  9月 17 20:28 /dev/dsp1.0
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   0xa9  9月 17 20:28 /dev/dsp2.0
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  0x111 10月  5 20:35 /dev/dsp5.0
> > root@kx:~ #
>
> Hi,
> I wonder if you need to start an application which use sndiod for audio,
> before it will open /dev/dsp4.0

There is no need to run system wide sndiod if you just want to run
local user application Chrome will launch it as user process for the
time it runs.. very similar to PulseAudio :-)

My ~/.profile contains user wide configuration for rsnd/3 is the
/dev/dsp3 and reminder how to change Mic to /dev/dsp3 (that is rsnd/3)
and Speaker to /dev/dsp4 (that is rsnd/4):
export AUDIODEVICE="rsnd/3"
#export AUDIOPLAYDEVICE="rsnd/4"
#export AUDIORECDEVICE="rsnd/3"

/dev/dsp3 is USB Audio Headphones, sndio name is rsnd/3.
/dev/dsp4 is USB Audio Card / Speakers, sndio name is rsnd/4.

Above configuration is generic one. Still it is possible to use
different device for microphone and speaker, but you need to:
1. start terminal.
2. export environment variables sndio config.
3. start chromium from that terminal so it gets the env config.

By default sndio uses rsnd/0 that is HDMI in/out for me. rsnd/1 is the
build in microphone, rsnd/2 is the build-in laptop speakers, rsnd/3 is
the USB Headset, rsnd/4 is the USB Audio Card (SoundBlaster).

Usually setting `export AUDIODEVICE="rsnd/3"` is fine as system
default to have audio unput/output on usb headset.

Sometimes I need to switch to built in microphone (`rsnd/2`) and
external usb audio loudspeakers (`rsnd/4`) that can be done by
exporting variables in dedicated terminal then starting chrome from
that terminal.

PulseAudio allows to switch input/output on the fly during application
run when the meeting takes place this is why I prefer PulseAudio.

Hope that helps :-)
Tomek