Re: if mips gets dropped

From: tech-lists <tech-lists_at_zyxst.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:00:12 UTC
On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 08:31:00AM +0200, Janne Johansson wrote:
>Seeing how dropping mips is suggested (and I don't have anything to
>say about the actual decision in itself),
>https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-arch/2021-September/000068.html

Hi,

I've asked on that list to clarify if they mean just mips or if they're
also including mips64.

A few years ago I tried getting freebsd onto a mips64 (octeon) device
(it's an edgerouter lite 3) but failed. I found it was supported more
completely on OpenBSD and installation was relatively straightforward,
and the instructions are very thorough.

On OpenBSD it's supported so well it'll do binary upgrades.

Regarding "old" hardware: this device really isn't "old". I think I got
it about 5 years ago. It's had OpenBSD running on it for the past 3-4
years or so and it is *so stable* I'm very happy with it.
--
J.