Re: Initial implementation of _FORTIFY_SOURCE

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 07:21:09 UTC
Am 2024-05-14 05:16, schrieb Kyle Evans:
> On 5/13/24 18:05, Tomoaki AOKI wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 May 2024 18:57:26 +0000
>> Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org> wrote:

>>> I would encourage that so to help the ports tree determine
>>> availability of the import.
>>
>> If it can be enabled/disabled with sysctls/tunables on
>> runtime/boottime,
>> bump should be preferred. Maybe this isn't yet the case here, IIUC.
>>
>> But if it could be done only on build time with WITH_ or WITHOUT_ knob
>> ad not yet enabled by default for now, now ins't the time to bump.
>> Bump should be done when it becomes to be built by default.
>>
>> Bump for non-default build time knob should force poudriere[-devel]
>> users massive unneeded rebuilds. So should be avoided, if it still
>> cannot switch on boot or runtime.
>>

> It's strictly build time, and I didn't really see the value in bumping
> __FreeBSD_version for it.  I don't see any reason to, e.g., turn it
> into a per-port option that we may not want to have if the feature
> isn't there, and the knob to build it in is a preprocessor define
> that's harmless if the feature isn't actually available.

Ports: We have WITH_PIE, WITH_BIND_NOW and WITH_RELRO (e.g. for
make.conf) which enables those build time options globally. Ports then
can have e.g. PIE_UNSAFE=yes to opt-out of WITH_PIE builds. I think it
would be beneficial if we get something similar for FORTIFY. I already
use all of the afore mentioned options in my own builds (and have
provided NO_PIE hints where it fails), and I would surely give a similar
FORTIFY option a try.

On a somewhat related note, has someone already played with CFI
(https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ControlFlowIntegrity.html)?

Bye,
Alexander.

--