Re: TarFS

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 13:44:04 UTC
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024, 2:23 PM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
>
> > > Side question: how hard is it to add and offset of tarball mount
> > > option?
> >
> > It shouldn't be hard, since all I/O goes through tarfs_io_read(), but
> > why would you want to?
>
> To skip headers TarFS does not grok ?

It would make it possible to have all the files for an application in an
ELF section formatted as a tarball... AppImage
https://docs.appimage.org/reference/specification.html is one thing that
does in Linux... with user mount enabled the wrapper could mount the app's
files in a TarFS... Though Linux has a generic "at a given offset" flag to
mount which might be better....

And a big thanks for TarFS from me too!

Definitely cool.

Warner