Re: Fwd: [GSOC 2024] Unified kernel tracing interface

From: Joseph Mingrone <jrm_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 12:19:11 UTC
On Wed, 2024-03-13 at 10:23, Joseph Mingrone <jrm@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2024-03-13 at 13:58, Karim Taha <kariem.taha2.7@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,

>> I'm a computer engineering fresh grad. I'm interested in working on the
>> `Unified kernel tracing interface` project, however, the `ideas` page does
>> not list a mentor for direct contact and inquiries.

>> I was accepted in the GSOC2023 QEMU program, it was on FreeBSD, so I used
>> FreeBSD for around six months, I can use it with no issue.

>> I would like to know what level of kernel programming experience is
>> expected, and if the project could be tackled in a VM?

>> --
>> Karim

> Hi Karim,

> The person who proposed the project and was originally going to be the
> mentor is no longer available.  I'll investigate whether we can find
> another mentor and reply within a few days.

> Regards,

> Joe

Hello again Karim,

I exchanged a few more emails with people associated with this project.
Unfortunately, we haven't been able to secure a qualified mentor, so you
should consider selecting a different project.  Do any of the others on
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas look interesting to you?

Please let me know if you need help evaluating any of the other
projects.

Regards,

Joe