Re: ... was killed: a thread waited too long to allocate a page [actually: was killed: failed to reclaim memory problem]

From: Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst_at_tdx.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 09:09:05 UTC

--On 01 February 2024 08:30 -0800 Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One direction of control is . . .
>
> What do you have for ( copied from my /boot/loader.conf ):
>
>#
># Delay when persistent low free RAM leads to
># Out Of Memory killing of processes:
> vm.pageout_oom_seq=120
>
> The default is 12 (last I knew, anyway).
>
> The 120 figure has allowed me and others to do buildworld,
> buildkernel, and poudriere bulk runs on small arm boards
> using all cores that otherwise got "failed to reclaim
> memory" (to use the modern, improved [not misleading]
> message text). Similarly for others that had other kinds
> of contexts that got the message.

Ok, as hopefully a final follow up after some weeks - thanks to those that
posted replies, and having made the change above:

  vm.pageout_oom_seq=120

This seems to have cured the issue, at least for us. Reading through other
replies / posts - it looks like most things these days, there's a number of
different ways you could try and tackle this - but the above (as the first
thing we did) seems to have fixed it.

Slightly concerning that an otherwise 32G system w/ZFS, that I would call
'lightly loaded' can run into this issue (and only since going to 13.2) -
but there you go :) I can't remember the last time I had to 'tweak'
anything with FreeBSD - so I can't complain really.

-Karl