Re: portconfig vs xterm

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 21:40:11 UTC
In message <1f477b47-6a8e-4e32-889e-7f0788132953@freebsd.org>, Craig Leres
writ
es:
> I was trying to give 13.3-BETA1 a legit tryout and ended up spending
> hours fighting with portconfig. In my experience it does not play well
> with xterm. Function and arrow keys are no-ops and unlike dialog4ports
> it does not allow navigation with ^P/^N. Given that that my TERM is set
> to xterm when I login to the *console* of my newly installed 13.3 system
> (as when I ssh in from my FreeBSD desktop) how can my user experience be
> so terrible?
>
> I eventually figured out I could go back by adding:
>
>      DIALOG=/usr/local/bin/dialog4ports
>
> to /etc/make.conf.
>
> Have a I managed to overlook a subtle clue somewhere?
>
> Similarity, I jave been hitting this on my 13.2 build server and today
> figured out the poudriere itself had a dependency on portconfig. Good
> luck using portconfig to change the option that controls this though.
> (In the end I used my windows laptop which identifies as a vt220 to ssh
> in -- so I didn't have to resort to editing the options file with vi...)

portconfig works quite well with xterm. The F1 function key works, as do
the arrow and pgup/pgdown keys.

Regarding print of drawing characters, one needs to either enable UTF-8
encoding -- that's ctrl + right mouse button -- or use uxterm. Or one can
use a locale with a UTF-8 encoding. Another option may be to invoke xterm
using the -lc option (or you can get into the weeds and set the -en option
yourself). Many of these options can also be specified in your resources
file. Xterm is very configurable.

$TERM doesn't matter.

xterm -lc invokes luit(1) to handle UTF-8 conversion. The man page says
it's the preferred option. IMO piping through an "external" application
uses CPU cycles that could better be used servicing builds -- if you do
builds on the same machine. Probably not a big user of resources but we old
dogs who used to work on 96 KB mainframes back in the day are, still, all
too aware of resource utilization.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>