Re: portconfig vs xterm

From: Alfonso S. Siciliano <alfix86_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 19:53:23 UTC
On 2/4/24 04:06, Craig Leres wrote:
> I was trying to give 13.3-BETA1 a legit tryout and ended up spending
> hours fighting with portconfig. In my experience it does not play well
> with xterm. Function and arrow keys are no-ops and unlike dialog4ports
> it does not allow navigation with ^P/^N. Given that that my TERM is set
> to xterm when I login to the *console* of my newly installed 13.3 system
> (as when I ssh in from my FreeBSD desktop) how can my user experience be
> so terrible?

Thank you for your report and sorry for the late reply.

I added ^P/^N to the TODO list. They will be available in the next
version. I have just created a wiki page for feature requests and
problems reports:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/portconfig

Please, you could add an entry in the Problems table to describe
the problem and the steps to reproduce.
Also you could open a PR (and/or write an email to asiciliano@)
to investigate and to continue the discussion.

> I eventually figured out I could go back by adding:
>
>      DIALOG=/usr/local/bin/dialog4ports
>
> to /etc/make.conf.
>
> Have a I managed to overlook a subtle clue somewhere?

Yes, it is possible to go back, a way:
# pkg install dialog4ports
after installation adding to /etc/make.conf
DIALOG4PORTS=${LOCALBASE}/bin/dialog4ports

Or another tool, CLI instead of a TUI:
# pkg install portoptscli
After installation adding to /etc/make.conf
DIALOG4PORTS=${LOCALBASE}/bin/portoptscli
It is designed for blind users, however anyone who wants to use
a CLI can use it.

> Similarity, I jave been hitting this on my 13.2 build server and today
> figured out the poudriere itself had a dependency on portconfig. Good
> luck using portconfig to change the option that controls this though.
> (In the end I used my windows laptop which identifies as a vt220 to ssh
> in -- so I didn't have to resort to editing the options file with vi...)
>
>          Craig

Alfonso