Re: Trying to virtualize ReactOS with bhyve : I don't see a viable way to do it...

From: Mario Marietto <marietto2008_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:11:38 UTC
UPDATE :

I've been able to unfreeze ReactOS on the boot stage. I've just removed the
bhyve "-A" offending parameter that can't be used because ReactOS probably
does not support ACPI. Now I'm at this stage :

https://ibb.co/Dtw8Hj1

Now the problem is that I can't move the mouse inside the vm and the
keyboard does not work...so I need to find some workaround to supply the
absence of the arbiter...

I've thought about using virtio-input and I've added this parameter to
bhyve :

-s 12,virtio-input,/dev/input/event7 \

I've chosen event7,because I've got it here :

[root@marietto /bhyve]==> ls /dev/input/
event0 event1 event2 event3 event4 event5 event6 event7

Anyway I also tried event6,event5...it didn't work.

Can someone quickly explain how it works ? Is it supposed to work even if
ReactOS does not have the arbiter ?
More precisely the ReactOS developer said : "Hardware initialization
doesn’t occur on UEFI due to missing arbiter support : It means that the
hardware (even essential such as input devices) will not work and you may
not be able to interact with the system in any way"

My idea is to use Barrier to be able to use the mouse and keyboard inside
the vm...I will install the server on freebsd and the client inside the
reactos vm...

Could it work  as long as reactOS has a network connection ?

Let me know.

--
Mario.