Upgrading -RELEASE to -CURRENT

From: Josef 'Jeff' Sipek <jeffpc_at_josefsipek.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 22:46:04 UTC
Perhaps this is a newbie question, but whenever I try to move a freshly
installed 14.0-RELEASE-p6 to -CURRENT, I seem to have to first install
-STABLE and then build -CURRENT.

That is:

1. install 14.0 from ISO
2. freebsd-update
3. get stable/14
4. buildworld; buildkernel; installkernel; reboot; etcupdate -p;
   installworld; etcupdate -B; make delete-old; reboot
5. get main
6. buildworld; buildkernel; installkernel; reboot; etcupdate -p;
   installworld; etcupdate -B; make delete-old; reboot

If I skip steps 3 & 4, I end up with every C++ binary (notably cc) fails to
execute because ld.so is unhappy about libc++.so not having the right
version.  (Sorry, I didn't write down exact error and don't have a busted
system on hand.)

Is upgrading from 14.0-RELEASE directly to -CURRENT supposed to work?  I
didn't see anything in the docs that says it shouldn't.

Thanks,

Jeff.