Re: gpart destroy efi partition?

From: Peter 'PMc' Much <pmc_at_citylink.dinoex.sub.org>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 19:45:37 UTC
On 2023-05-23, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Without  luck the drive encountered a condition that made it decide to lock
> you out forever from  writing again.

As this was said to be an USB memstick...

There are apparently problems with (some?) newer such memsticks:
My old ones work fine with partitions of UFS or even ZFS. But
my newer ones have horribly bad performance with UFS filesystems
(and these are not the cheapest chinese pieces).
It seems to me like they might have internal intelligence that
optimizes for typical microsoft filesystems.

So I once tried what would happen when I continue writing
into an UFS filesystem on the stick no matter how long it takes -
and what happened was exactly what Warner describes: after some
time the thing switched itself to read-only.

In fact I have a problem with this, because I need a means to
store single files of 20+ GB on a stick.