Re: poudriere, zfs and atime

From: Zhenlei Huang <zlei_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 01:33:02 UTC

> On Mar 24, 2023, at 9:13 AM, void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:
>
> Is it ok to set atime=off on filesystems used by things updating
> frequently, in this context it's git & poudriere on zfs? I know
> /var/mail needs it to be on, not sure about git & poudriere.
> thanks,
> --

`atime` on my build machine:

zroot                           atime     off    local
zroot/ROOT                      atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/ROOT/default              atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/tmp                       atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/usr                       atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/usr/home                  atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/usr/ports                 atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/usr/src                   atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/var                       atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/var/audit                 atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/var/crash                 atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/var/log                   atime     off    inherited from zroot
zroot/var/mail                  atime     on     local
zroot/var/tmp                   atime     off    inherited from zroot

I think is OK to turn off `atime` for git usage. I've never encountered
any problem with if off during daily build (mainly kernel build).

I'm not familiar with poudriere. Do you have any issues with it?

Best regards,
Zhenlei