Re: Periodic rant about SCHED_ULE

From: Matthias Andree <mandree_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 21:37:44 UTC
Am 22.03.23 um 20:21 schrieb Mark Millard:

> FYI: I've never built with and run the alternate
> scheduler so if there is any appropriate background
> for that that would not be obvious on finding basic
> instructions, it would be appropriate to provide
> such notes.

on amd64 13.X, I do, assuming sh/ksh/bash/mksh/pdksh:

cat >/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC-4BSD <<_EOF
include		GENERIC
ident   	GENERIC-4BSD
nooptions	SCHED_ULE
options		SCHED_4BSD
_EOF

cat >>/etc/src.conf <<_EOF
WITHOUT_CLEAN=yes      # remove after OSVERSION bump for poudriere
KERNCONF=GENERIC-4BSD
_EOF

make -C /usr/src -j$(sysctl -n hw.ncpu) buildkernel installkernel

Alternatively, you only use the first cat, omit the src.conf patches,
and run this make command INSTEAD:

make -C /usr/src -DNOCLEAN KERNCONF=GENERIC-4BSD \
	-j$(sysctl -n hw.ncpu) buildkernel installkernel

and then I reboot.  The previous kernel (kernel.old) can be chosen from
the beastie loader menu.

--
Matthias Andree
FreeBSD ports committer