Re: pkg(8): difference between "-c /path" and "-r /path"

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:23:39 UTC
On 26/02/2023 09:07, Michael Schuster wrote:

> … up to now, I've leaned towards "pkg -c /path <cmd>" when
> installing/updating a BE mounted at /path, but, given some results in
> the past that weren't quite clear to me (yes, that's a bit vague,
> sorry), I've been wondering whether "-r /path" would have been better. …

For me, the most significant difference was that when upgrading
packages, I could not (or not easily) get things logged to
/var/log/messages when using option -c.

No such problem with option -r.

<https://reviews.freebsd.org/P559> for a rough idea of the routine that
I follow with any update. Essentially:

1. create then mount a boot environment

2. install to the mount point with option -r

3. unmount then activate the environment

4. restart.