Re: BHYVE_SNAPSHOT

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 11:33:00 UTC
On 29/04/23 13:29, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 1:17 PM void wrote:
>> Where can I read up about the recently introduced BHYVE_SNAPSHOT ?
>
> Have you tried vm-bhyve? This is really simple frontend to
> create/manage/snapshot bhyve vms.. it is using dedicated zfs poll for
> vm storage and uses zfs snapshot for the vm snapshot :-)
>
> https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/vm-bhyve/

I do use vm-bhyve and find it very useful (also contributed some small
patches there) but please note that the snapshots vm-bhyve performs are
only disk image snapshots, and it explicitly protects you from creating
snapshots of running vms, since those can be corrupt.

The functionality void is talking about is bhyve provided snapshots of a
running VM, including all it's memory and state, to be restore exactly
as it was at a later a time, and, I  think, on a different physical machine.

I don't see any support for this in vm-bhyve.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>